Recruiting Questions for College Coaches
Many athletes asked us to give them tips on what questions to ask coaches during the recruiting process. Getting recruited is exciting but there’s a lot of responsibility you should have in taking control of your recruiting by soaking up all the information about each school that wants you in their program.
When choosing the right school, choose the school the fits you. From choosing an academic major to campus life, your job is to gain tremendous insight about making one of the most important decisions in your life, choosing a home for the next 4-5 years.
We have compiled the best questions to ask college coaches during your recruiting visits or any interactions you may have with college coach.
- How many athletes are you recruiting from my position?
- Where do I stand on your list of possible recruits for my position?
- How many scholarships are available for my class?
- What are the length of scholarships? 1 year or 4 years?
- Are your scholarships renewed?
- What are your redshirt policies?
- Does scholarships cover a fifth year?
- What are your policies for walk-on athletes?
- Can I compete in other sports?
- Are there any summer obligations/requirements?
- What are the coaches recruiting timeline?
- How would you describe your coaching style?
- Does scholarships cover medical expenses? How long?
- What is the team’s Academic Progress Rate (APR score)?
- What is the team’s Graduation Success Rate (GSR)?
- What percentage of your student-athletes graduate?
- Are there designated areas for studying and tutoring for student-athletes?
- How are conflicts handled between academics and athletics?
- Will I be able to do study abroad?
- What are some of the majors your players study?
- Are any players majoring in…
- Do players attend summer school to reduce the in-season course load?
- Are meal provided for athletes?
- How involved are alumni and former players in the program?
- Will I be able to train with a third party company outside the program?
- What do you look for in players at my position?
- How would you describe the community surrounding the campus?
- What are the living arrangements for freshmen? Do teammates live together?
- How does recruiting me helps the team compete for a championship?
- What can I do to show you I’m serious about attending your school?
Remember, take control of your recruiting, ask as many questions as you like and choose the school you want to be for the next 4-5 years.